DEATH PENALTY QUESTIONS:
1. What is the relationship between race and the death penalty?
2. What states have the highest rate of death penalty executions?
3. What states have the lowest?
4. Has public opinion changed regarding the death penalty since the early part of the 20th century?
5. Cite two reasons for having and enforcing the death penalty.
6. Cite two reasons for abolishing it altogether.
You should use the resources under the appropriate heading to answer your assigned questions. In addition to the resources which I have listed for you, you may find additional resources and note other interesting facts on the topic. If you use additional sources, you must cite each source with the notes you take from it. If you have time, compare notes with your group members during the last 30 minutes of class. You will be the discussion leaders for this topic.
QUESTIONS REGARDING THE JIM CROW LAWS
1. What was the original purpose of the Jim Crow Laws?
2. Where did the name come from?
3. Did Jim Crow Laws exist only in the South?
4. List 5 of the most interesting Jim Crow Laws and the states where those particular laws were enforced. Try to find some that existed in Virginia.
5. What are some ways that people in the South used to resist and survive the Jim Crow laws?
6. When did the Jim Crow Laws officially end and why?
THE CHURCH IN THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY
1. What role did the church play in the lives of the early slaves?
2. How did the role of the church grow during Reconstruction?
3. What was the role of the black church during the Civil Rights Movement?
4. Name some prominent Civil Rights activists with links to the church.
5. Has the role of the church in the black community changed in recent years? If so, how and what are some possible reasons for the change?
6. Comment on the statement that Sunday morning remains "the most segregated part of the week" in the present day,